Friday, January 9, 2009

Leadagers

People commonly tell me, "We need leadership training." After digging deeper into what they call "leadership training", I find what they're typically looking for is management skill development.

The terms "leadership" and "management" are quite often used interchangeably, but there is a profound difference and both are important to your job today.

I've made my distinction between the two simple:

While management may be what you do, leadership is the way you think.

Of course, to be a good manager one must have many leadership traits. Good leaders are good managers and vice versa. Leadership and management are very much intertwined, so discounting characteristics of one is discounting the importance of the other.

However, they’re more than just intertwined. The combination facilitates your ability to get the resources you need, have the support you need, get the skills you need, build the relationships you need... to get your job done.

Getting an organization "to the next level" or competing in an ever-changing world requires mighty management and enriching leadership... but the true power to make a difference lies with the people that have both: Leadagers.

Let's all be Leadagers.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on management vs. leadership vs. both.

(I attribute the term "leadager" to Miki Saxon of Leadership Turn, 2008)



1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree 100% about there being a difference between 'leadership' and 'management'. In fact, I have been exploring the distinction in my own blog for several years: http://brucelynnblog.spaces.live.com/?_c11_BlogPart_BlogPart=blogview&_c=BlogPart&partqs=cat%3dLeadership%2band%2bManagement. My definition of the difference is 'Leaders optimise the upside and Manager minimise the downside.' It looks at how executives of organisations approach risk and how a balanced approach is needed for the most successful outcomes.